Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Welcome to Thailand, home of...Thai people?

Howdy y'all!

When I last posted, and you last read (if indeed you were reading this blog WAY back then), I had just moved to New Mexico, to begin work as a geologist conducting groundwater sampling at Los Alamos National Lab. Well, a lot happened in the last three years. But the long and short of is as follows:

I am living in Thailand with my lovely girlfriend. And I am still a wanna be geologist.

New Mexico (and my employment with TerranearPMC) was truly awesome, but i did not become the geologist that I aspired to be. I hope to be in grad school somewhere in Cascadia by Fall of 2013, learning as much geomorphology as they'll let me, but until then...here I am! And as you may have gathered, Thailand (or at least north central agricultural thailand) is short on rock exposure.

But the people exposure sure is something! I will proceed with the assumption that you, the respected reader, desire to learn (or at least be entertained by) about Thai-style; that is, the strange wonderful stupid and silly ways that Thai people live Thai life in Thai land.

I'll share a touch more background info, and then I will start in on Thai-style in my next post. My girlfriend is an English teacher here, giving me my raison detre: Trophy Husband! Traditional Thai social mores dictate a couple living together be a married couple, hence the Husband part of my role. As for the Trophy, well obviously I spend all day long sculpting my guns in the bronzing Thai sun. But seriously, I am embracing the role of helping the lovely lady(and myself) live a lifestyle that is as Happy and Healthy as possible.

Lest ye be fooled, Thailand is not always the easiest place to be Happy and Healthy. For example, Thai food, justifiably known as Dee-f'in-licious, reveals itself to be an overwhelming variation on the theme of meat + rice + flavor after a few gut immobilizing bouts of feasting, Thai style. (An aside for those who enjoy themes of gastrointestinal duress: gut immobilization is the exact opposite situation to which i am used to being subjected to in foreign countries. Aaaahh the novelty of new places!) Getting back to my original point about Happy and Healthy in Thailand, I therefore have turned the trick of cooking lots of delicions Thai vegetables into vaguely New Mexican Thai fusion cuisine. The wahine thinks it's delicious; Thai people appear dubious; our bowels are on the move!

My lovely lady moved here in October. I joined her in early January. I've now been here nearly a month. We'll be here through September of 2012, with a couple month break in March/April for kickin' it in southeast Asia, and some sort of grand touring expedition in Indonesia and possibly India in October/November before returning to the Land of (apparent) Free Choice.

2 comments:

Shortty said...

Hal! Haha... I didn't even know I still had this subscription on my reader. What an awesome surprise to see it in my feed this morning! Looking forward to some updates on your adventures.

Dick Birnbaum said...

Photos please.

Race, ethnicity, class in Thailand very complex issue. Most middle class, educated, urban Thais are at least part Chinese. Rural/farmers mainly some variation on theme of native Thais. Lots of difference and friction. Note recent (and continuing) communal strife that has brought down successive governments in violent clashes.

As for gentle Thai Buddhism, the dog-in-road anecdote was cute, but your observation/conclusion misses the mark.

Keep on bloggin'!